Garmin GPSMAP 66i Rental – GPS mapping and navigation with satellite messaging and tracking.
OER’s Garmin GPSMAP 66i Rental offers backcountry mapping, navigation, communication, tracking, SOS, social media sharing and more.
- Preloaded TopoActive US and Canada maps
- Send messages to email and SMS numbers
- Activate Tracking and your personalized Mapshare url to allow family and friends back to watch your progress in real time.
- Trigger an interactive SOS to the 24/7 search and rescue monitoring center
- Pair it with your mobile device (Apple iOS, Android, or Kindle Fire via Bluetooth) and free Explore app to access downloadable maps, color aerial imagery and more.
- Optional inReach weather forecast service provides detailed updates directly to your inReach Mini or paired device; basic and premium weather packages available
- Waterproof/dustproof (IPX7, standard submersion to 1m for 30 min.); impact-resistant (Mil-STD-810G for shock)
- Up to 200 hours of battery life while using inReach tech.
- The Garmin GPSMAP 66i is easily charged using the included USB cable, and can be used with most solar chargers.
SOS messages are received by GEOS, a worldwide emergency response coordination center with 24/7/365 staffing.
For complete technical specifications and detailed features see the GPSMAP 66i page at Garmin
More information on Garmin InReach Rental data plans available in the ‘Data’ tab.
Looking for multpile devices to track a race, outdoor group, field workers, etc? Check out our partner at OER Tracking
The Quick Review: GPSMAP 66i vs inReach Explorer+ (Differences Only)
The inReach Explorer is 2-Way satellite messenger capable of sending and receiving texts to any number or email in the world. The GPSMAP 66i shares this functionality but in addition has a stronger focus on mapping features as shown below.
|GPSMAP 66i||inReach Explorer+|
|Memory Capacity||16 GB||2 GB|
|Ability to add Custom Maps||Yes||No|
|Battery Life||Up to 35 hours at 10-minute trackingUp to 200 hours at 30-minute tracking (power saver mode)||Up to 100 hours at 10-minute trackingUp to75 hours at 10-minute tracking with 1-second logging|
Up to 30 days at 30-minute interval power save mode
|Interface||USB and NMEA 0183 compatible||USB|
|Preloaded Maps||Garmin Topo Active Mapping||DeLorme (Open Street Maps)|
|Micro SD card||Yes (not included)||No|
|Auto Routing (turn-by-turn)||Yes||No|
|Birds Eye Satellite Imagery||Yes||No|